"This blog is the after math of a boy in
New York City trying to really live"

Feb 4, 2012

I was sitting in laundry mat (doing laundry) just reading a book when i see a tall dark figure standing over me. I try not look up until i hear the "uh"'s of a conversation trying to awkwardly start. I look up and it is this 20 something boy with an afro that looks like a stranger... a cool stranger but a stranger none the less. He asks if I play the piano and sing... I answer "yea" and he says that he saw my set down down the week Prior at an open mic at the PATH Cafe. I was immediately relieved. And more so just touched that he remembered me enough to recognize me while buried in a book. He was a songwriter himself and lived just around the corner. We spend about 45 seconds talking and parted ways. It was one of a handful of moments where I actually felt like I belonged for a moment. It wasn't that he liked my set or anything like that because honestly I don't know how he felt about it. It was that he was another songwriter taking the time to make a connection with a fellow songwriter. These open mic nights. This underground songwriting community. If i am ever to find my home here in the city it will be there. And well, I was hopeful for a moment. Which was ironic cause apparently the song he connected to at the open mic was a song I did wrote called HAUNTED CITY which for all intents and purposes is about how its hard to make connections with people in NYC.

One moment.
I will take it

No comments:

Post a Comment